[Libreoffice] [patch] (draft) remove Andale Sans UI from the LO default font lists

Christian Lohmaier lohmaier+libreoffice at googlemail.com
Thu Mar 17 07:26:18 PDT 2011

Hi Samphan, *,

On Thu, Mar 17, 2011 at 9:02 AM, Samphan Raruenrom <samphan at osdev.co.th> wrote:
> [...]
> Since Andale Sans UI is only available for PC that have installed StarOffice
> 7 (or newer), I suggest we remove the font from LO default font fallback
> lists because not many people will have the font installed anyway.

You forgot the discussion from February already?

Please explain the "why"

I definitely say "-1" to removing Andale Sans UI unless you refer to
the thread in earyl February and explain why you still think it is a
good thing to do.

> 2) for UI_SANS, if Andale Sans UI is the first-priority font, use Tahoma
> instead because it has better glyph coverage than Arial Unicode MS

This is a bogus argument, as the there is a font-list especially for
the purpose of finding a font that covers the glyph-area.
And I kind of doubt that Arial Unicode has less glyphs than Tahoma. Do
you have an example?

> 3) for th locale, the Thai community are coming with better default font
> lists that work cross-platform

This is fine with me.

But again:

> Please take a look and make comments.

You had those comments in February already. And now you come with the
very same proposal of removing Andale Sans UI without even referring
to the previous thread.

ciao
Christian