[Libreoffice] [patch] (draft) remove Andale Sans UI from the LO default font lists

Samphan Raruenrom samphan at osdev.co.th
Thu Mar 17 16:45:18 PDT 2011

On Thu, Mar 17, 2011 at 9:04 PM, Petr Mladek <pmladek at suse.cz> wrote:

> Hi Samphan,
>
> first, thanks for your patch. I am not expert on fonts, so please excuse
> my potentially ignorant questions.
>
> Samphan Raruenrom píše v Čt 17. 03. 2011 v 15:02 +0700:
> > See http://www.wazu.jp/gallery/views/View_AndaleSansUI.html
> >         Andale Sans UI (soui.ttf)
> >         Source: Supplied with StarOffice 7.0, which is free for
> >         education and research purposes.
> >         Stats: Version 1.10 has 668 glyphs and 3,400 kerning pairs
> >         Support: Cyrillic (Russian), Greek, Latin
> >
> > Since Andale Sans UI is only available for PC that have installed
> > StarOffice 7 (or newer), I suggest we remove the font from LO default
> > font fallback lists because not many people will have the font
> > installed anyway.
>
> Hmm, I think that it does not cause any harm if "Andale Sans UI" is in
> the fallback list. It is ignored if it is not installed. Former
> StarOffice users might want to use it for backward compatibility.
>

> > This is what the patch does:
> > 1) remove all instance of Andale Sans UI
>
> Could you please explain what it the advantage of this change? I think
> that I have missed something.

OK. I see the point.

> > 2) for UI_SANS, if Andale Sans UI is the first-priority font, use
> > Tahoma instead because it has better glyph coverage than Arial Unicode
> > MS
>
> It seems to me that Arial Unicode MS supports more unicode ranges and
> code pages, see
> http://www.microsoft.com/typography/fonts/font.aspx?fmid=1081
> http://www.microsoft.com/typography/fonts/font.aspx?FMID=1805
>
> Or is Tahoma better for a particular language?

I've just found after I've sent the email that Arial Unicode MS has much
better glyph coverage.
Sorry for not having done the homework enough :P
And for that reson, I think we should prefer "Arial Unicode MS" to Andale
Sans UI in UI_SANS case.
I'll discuss the rationale in the next reply (to Christian).

--
_/|\_ Samphan Raruenrom. Open Source Development Co., Ltd.
Tel: +66 38 311816, Fax: +66 38 773128, http://www.osdev.co.th/