[Libreoffice] GSOC 2011 regarding - Project Idea.

Anurag Jain anuragjainfzd at gmail.com
Thu Mar 24 17:14:28 PDT 2011

Hello there,

This time I'm planning to take part in Google Summer of code 2011 and I saw
the LO was mentioned in the participating organisation. So I'd like to work
on some of the ideas proposed on the LO's GSOC
wiki<http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Development/Gsoc/Ideas> but
before that I came across one problem with Calc.

One of my friend is working on neural network project which had training
data in excel and csv format which had some 7000 columns. When we tried
opening that in LO it showed only 1024 columns. To cross check this point I
manually checked the column limit of LO calc and it was found to be 1024.
But such was not the case with MS Excel 2007. I was able to copy the whole
1024 long column and paste it again making it of double and triple column
length.

So is there anyway this idea of increasing the column limit while
maintaining the memory optimizations and compatibility with larger documents
can be proposed as project idea for my GSOC application?

To add to my this I've already been active in the IRC #libreoffice channel
and talked to other senior developers over there. Also I've got the initial
build of LO and trying my hands on learning git and trying easy hacks.

Please let me know if this idea has the potential of being a GSOC proposal
and guide me through so that I can do something worthy this summer.

thanks and regards

--
Anurag Jain
Final yr B.Tech CSE