[Libreoffice] GSOC 2011 regarding - Project Idea.

Kohei Yoshida kyoshida at novell.com
Fri Mar 25 10:21:27 PDT 2011

On Fri, 2011-03-25 at 05:44 +0530, Anurag Jain wrote:

> So is there anyway this idea of increasing the column limit while
> maintaining the memory optimizations and compatibility with larger
> documents can be proposed as project idea for my GSOC application?

So, as we discussed on IRC yesterday, I have my reservation toward
making this a GSOC task.  The reason is that it would be very hard to
define what's considered "task complete", and we don't know how long
this task would take.  So it'd be a bit hard to come up with an
implementation plan that fits into the 3-month window of GSOC.

Increasing the column limit itself is super easy, and it takes just a
single line of change.  But after that change, we don't know for sure
where this change affects, what sort of performance issues arise, and
how much of it.  So, depending on which direction it goes, the task may
finish within a week, or more than a year.

Anyway, I know that you've already shown interest in picking up another
task.  I'm just posting this just to have this on record.

Regards,

Kohei