[Libreoffice] Strange filesystems-related enum in libs-gui/tools

Francois Tigeot ftigeot at wolfpond.org
Tue May 3 01:21:18 PDT 2011

On Tue, May 03, 2011 at 02:06:24AM -0600, Tor Lillqvist wrote:
> > And this would also be stupid: only the WIN32 subsystem
>
> Which is the subsystem LibreOffice runs in, so what is your point?

NTFS itself is case sensitive. There may be files files differing only by case
even on Microsoft Windows systems.

> Surely you are not suggesting we should potentially break existing functionality for the majority of Windows users, just to cater for a handful of people who intentionally break their systems just because they can?

I'm not suggesting anything, just thinking out loud for now.

> I mean, if we have code in there that assumes NTFS (and SMB) volumes are case insensitive (at least when accessed from Windows), we should definitely keep it that way, even if somebody might have toggled a registry value to change it. If somebody does that, they deserve what they get.

The code is overly complex and wrong in some cases. I was thinking of
simplifying it by doing a simple compile-time check for WNT but this may not be
the best way.

And the function we're talking about is only used once in all the code base. I'm
not even sure it's doing anything useful.

--
Francois Tigeot