[Libreoffice] update - Courgette ...

Michael Meeks michael.meeks at novell.com
Tue May 3 03:58:27 PDT 2011

Hi guys,

	So - there are lots of ways to do this. Chrome seems to have some quite
funky very-small-diff creator for binary files, that should let us do
security updates, and the kinds of small changes we tend to see in minor
point-releases into very small patches:

http://www.chromium.org/developers/design-documents/software-updates-courgette

	At least for Windows (only) - [ this is Chrome right ;-] But then
Windows is the problem platform for updates I guess.

	Personally - I would love to get a review of how Firefox and Chrome do
their on-line updating for Windows, and what code from each project we
can / should borrow & re-use. It would be great to have a wiki page with
lots of code pointers for the integration points into each project
listed etc.

	Re-using something already used in a large, successful Free Software
project that ships cross-platform is (AFAICS) mandatory. There are
dozens of projects out there that might/could do this - but we want to
free-ride on these other large projects' hard work, and share the burden
with them IMHO.

	ATB,

		Michael.