[Libreoffice] [GSoC 2011] Some technical question

Thorsten Behrens thb at documentfoundation.org
Tue May 3 13:47:45 PDT 2011

Marco wrote:
> Where should I put the source code I'll write down ?
> Should I create a development branch as described on the Easy Hack page ?
> Shall I choose the branch name by myself (e.g. gsoc2011/svgfilter)
> or there is already an ad-hoc branch ?

Recommended branch naming convention is "feature/<name>", so
feature/svgexport or somesuch would be good.

> To submit the code, should I send a mail with an attached patch ?
> (saying weekly), or you'll provide me an account to push my branch on
> the remote repository directly.

Commit access is usually offered when project members agree on that
the person is doing a good job; meanwhile, git format-patch -
generated mails of your branch is appreciated - or you push to one
of the many free git hosting sites (you'll likely only need the
filters repo for the while).

> When I add new header/source files, do I have to modify any build
> configuration file ? Btw how does the LibreOffice build system work ?

Currently changing - but for the filter module, just edit the
makefile.mk next to your source files - it should be reasonably
self-explanatory.

> How can I find out the header file targeted by an include directive ?
> I can see that sometime the same header file is in more than one place.
> For instance given the include directive:
>
> #include <xmloff/xmlexp.hxx>
>
> I can find:
>
> /libo/xmloff/inc/xmloff/xmlexp.hxx
> /libo/clone/filters/binfilter/inc/bf_xmloff/xmlexp.hxx
> /libo/solver/300/unxlngx6.pro/inc/xmloff/xmlexp.hxx

libo/xmloff/inc/xmloff/xmlexp.hxx is the master version,
libo/solver/300/unxlngx6.pro/inc/xmloff/xmlexp.hxx is just a
copy/symlink - not under revision control, but the file actually
included by the compiler. The solver subdir is used as a kind of
blackboard - modules export things into that, everything not copied
there is not accessible from outside a module's subdir. You can
safely ignore everything below /libo/clone/filters/binfilter.

> Is there a configuration file per module/sub-project where are listed
> the include directories passed to the compiler ?

Just stick with the existing include directories for the while. Put
private headers next to your cxx, and stuff you need to export
(because it's part of your module's API) into <module>/inc/<module>.

(I don't think the latter is necessary for your project, though).

HTH,

-- Thorsten