[Libreoffice] Mac OS X Discussion of Using Xcode and SDK >= 10.6

Peter Teeson peter.teeson at bell.net
Mon May 9 08:42:59 PDT 2011

Hi Tor:
On 2011-05-09, at 3:43 AM, Tor Lillqvist wrote:
>> What discussions have there been of the idea of using Xcode,
>
> You mean, as in building all (?) of LibreOffice in the Xcode IDE (or some other IDE), in such a way that the IDE actually would have parsed the source code etc and thus know about the classes and members, be able to provide "hints" as whatever Xcode calls its rough IntelliSense equivalent when editing, etc? No discussion by people actually known what they do and preparing to do something for it. Not going to happen. Feel free to prove me wrong, though;)
Oh no that was not at all what I was thinking and you are absolutely correct.

I'm just musing here but it seems to me one might be able to use the existing source tree, and even the make scripts,
and do a Mac build using Xcode and it's capabilities.

Not having a clear mental or documented picture of the overall structure of LO I am speculating here.
The sort of thing I would be tempted to do would make a project target for the "bootstrap."

By this I mean the "splash" screen from which you choose which type of document you want to open.
My guess is that from there various dll's are loaded as appropriate. But I don't know this for sure.
If that's correct then one could put in some stubs of those modules and add them as targets as time permits.

But this is all smoke and mirrors right now - just idle musings of an old retired Mac dev.

>> SDK 10.6 up and the LLVM compiler?
>
> That is presumably much easier. Isn't it in fact *harder* to have to look for the old SDK that we currently require to build against on MacOSX?
>
> --tml

Apple now seems to have pretty firmly moved over to LLVM and away from GCC.
They are even working on LLDB (or whatever the debugger is called.)

Anyway it's just my musings at this point....

respect....

Peter