[Libreoffice] Platform-specific DLL suffix usefulness

Francois Tigeot ftigeot at wolfpond.org
Mon May 23 09:45:59 PDT 2011

Hi Michael,

On Mon, May 23, 2011 at 04:49:58PM +0100, Michael Meeks wrote:

> 	If we are talking about the 'li' suffix in libswli.so - then I don't
> see much good reason for that really.
> 	Presumably extensions use only the standard, stable UNO APIs - and none
> of them use fooli.so etc.

I'm thinking the same thing: I only downloaded a few ones, but so far none
of them made use of the suffixed libraries.

> 	Or did I miss the point ? :-) but anyhow, we have a wiki page for
> things we know may be painful for extension authors - so we can do them
> all at once for 4.0:
>
> 	http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Development/LibreOffice4
>
> 	Perhaps add it there if you can't get immediate satisfaction :-)

I've added an item about DLLPOSTFIX, and I already have the satisfaction
to know it's a completely useless feature ;-)

Here's a list of all the different suffixes so far:
     (thats an empty one)
  ap
  ar
  df
  fi
  fx
  gi
  l3
  la
  lh
  li
  ll
  lm
  lp
  lr
  ls
  lx
  mi
  mx
  mxi
  mxp
  nb
  ob
  si
  sogi
  sogs
  ss
  su

The empty one is from unxiosr.mk and I suspect the platform doesn't build
because of this.

If removing the suffix is too much work for 3.5, what about using the same
one for all platforms ?
Say, we could use "dll" and have the same libfoodll.so file name everywhere
(minus the extension)

This would at least ease the packaging for people having to manage different
platforms.

--
Francois Tigeot