[Libreoffice] Word doesn't see symbols

plino pedlino at gmail.com
Fri May 27 03:18:44 PDT 2011

I'm not a dev (and this mailing list is for devs only).

But your problem isn't related to doc compatibility (or any format, for that
matter).

If the person you are sending the file doesn't the font you are using and
the font used to replace doesn't have the symbols you are using, the only
option would be to embed the font in the document.

Unfortunately it seems that ODF doesn't support embedding fonts and the Save
option for .doc in LibreOffice doesn't either.

I agree this is a serious limitation (especially for presentations)

You should add a feature to request to embed fonts in doc files (which is
supported by the MS doc format).

As for embedding fonts in ODF, I couldn't find anything on Google or
Bugzilla so I guess this hasn't been considered?

(In this particular case you could email Opensymbol.ttf to your friends
because it has a GPL license although it's copyrighted to Oracle
http://www.oooforum.org/forum/viewtopic.phtml?t=11463)