[Libreoffice] minutes of tech steering call ...

Caolán McNamara caolanm at redhat.com
Fri May 27 04:05:09 PDT 2011

On Fri, 2011-05-27 at 11:47 +0100, Michael Meeks wrote:

> AA:		+ provide current versions to Caolan (Fridrch)

glib2 2.16.0 was the first release to integrated the gio stuff
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gtk-devel-list/2008-March/msg00022.html
as a data point RHEL-5 is glib2-2.12.3 while RHEL-6 is glib-2.2.22)

RHEL-5 cairo is: 1.2.4
RHEL-6 cairo is: 1.8.8
RHEL-5 fontconfig is: 2.4.1
RHEL-6 fontconfig is: 2.8.0
RHEL-5 gtk2 is: 2.10.4
RHEL-6 gtk2 is 2.18.9

I'd like to get the current versions that we build our (apparently
acceptable) universal linux builds against at the moment to see what our
base-lines are.

We have three similar things here btw,
a) the oldest version of stuff on the end-user dest box that the
universal Linux needs pre-installed in order to work.
b) the oldest version of stuff required to be installed when *building*
the universal Linux build, which gives wriggle room to e.g. build
against new gtk/glib headers etc, so long as avoiding linking to symbols
not in the baselines of "a" e.g. we can dlsym hackery to install on "a"
baseline but use nifty new features when available on dest box, e.g. the
auto-detect which monitor is the external projecter to stick the
presentation on and which to stick the presentation notes on.
c) the oldest version of stuff that its *possible* to build against,
e.g. --disable-too-new-features, ifdefs, etc, for the roll-your-own crew

So, it may be the case that for the universal build the gio stuff is
"too new" to be required on the *dest* box, but maybe its not too new to
be required on the universal *build* box at hack up a run-time toggle
between gnome-vfs2 and gio.

I know gnome-vfs2 has a rash of horror bugs wrt some mangled (neon or
curl, I can't remember) lib built into it whose symbols are unchanged
from the original but do different things, so depending on whether
gnome-vfs2 or the built-in remote protocol handlers of LibreOffice
itself are loaded first the other one breaks horribly.

Uncontentious I think is making some minimum version of fontconfig a
required lib to be installed and drop much of the miserable dlopen
+wrapper pain we have in vcl. Even AIX has fontconfig ;-)

> AA:		+ 3.5 schedule check (Caolan)

http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/ReleasePlan looks fine to me

C.