[Libreoffice] about the removing of binfilter

Cedric Bosdonnat cedric.bosdonnat.ooo at free.fr
Tue May 31 01:12:45 PDT 2011

Hi Jean-Baptiste,

On Mon, 2011-05-30 at 22:51 +0200, Jean-Baptiste Faure wrote:
> But the removing of the import of old formats is another story. I am
> already hearing end-users complaining against this decision. Indeed it
> is not so evident that the users can convert their old files to
> OpenDocument format. I see at least one argument against such
> conversion: if you have old archived sdw files, you do not want
> transform your archives in an unusable bazaar by renaming and changing
> the date of all your files.

Sure, as an former ECM consultant I wouldn't have appreciated that date
changing thing ;)

> - communicate on the document converter: probably many users do not know it

May be some power user could write a small shell script invoking it to
rename all files into a newer format? that would also help spread the
use of that feature.

> - add to the converter the possibility to keep the date of the original
> file when converted to ODF

Sure, I'ld see it as a parameter to the soffice.bin used along with the
--convert-to param.

> - perhaps add to the converter the possibility to rename the files in a
> more informative way than only change their extension, eg toto.sdw ->
> toto_sdw.odt

IMHO that needs to be kept on the scripting side. Every user would have
his own renaming scheme for that...

--
Cédric Bosdonnat
LibreOffice hacker