[Libreoffice] about the removing of binfilter

Michael Meeks michael.meeks at novell.com
Tue May 31 01:46:11 PDT 2011

Hi Jean,

On Mon, 2011-05-30 at 22:51 +0200, Jean-Baptiste Faure wrote:
> But the removing of the import of old formats is another story. I am
> already hearing end-users complaining against this decision.

	Where, can you give some links to that ? and why are they still using a
file format deprecated for a decade+ instead of ODF :-)

> - it seems necessary to keep the last version of LibO which contains
> binfilter available for download during a long time.

	That is certain - the last version of the previous series should be
around for a long time, and now has a command-line conversion mode too
(though more polish there appreciated).

	Come LibreOffice 4 the plan is to rip out the legacy staroffice binary
formats import filter to avoid the maintenance burden, build time, and
download size.

	If someone does the work to maintain it and/or turn it into an
extension is up to them - there is no-one stopping that. Perhaps by
whacking vcl, basic, svtools, framework, connectivity etc. and
statically linking them into there we can make it much more self
contained anyway.

	ATB,

		Michael.