[Libreoffice] translating german -> english

Michael Meeks michael.meeks at suse.com
Mon Nov 7 06:39:56 PST 2011

On Mon, 2011-11-07 at 11:57 +0100, Luc Castermans wrote:
> Does this script exist:  bin/find-german-comments ?
> Where is it.

	In the bin/ directory :-) if you git clone the core/ repository as per:

	http://www.libreoffice.org/get-involved/developers/

	And run bin/find-german-comments - and wait ... you should get some
output. It uses bin/text_cat/text_cat it seems which doesn't require a
compile. I'd recommend doing:

	bin/find-german-comments svx/ # or other module at random

	otherwise all translators might be tempted to work on the first few
files that it returns for the whole tree :-)

>  For the moment I entered German word in opengrok and got plenty
> filenames already.

	Great.

> yes, recompile is required. This weekend I noticed
> that I modified one file too much: the compile failed :=)

	Oh ? often it is good to separate code cleanup from comment cleanup;
that makes the patches -very- much easier to review; find to do both of
course, but as two separate commits is appreciated.

> Another thing of course: that I  found out that understanding
> the German comments is not always easy. It is not about
> the German itself but the real meaning of the comment.
> Anyway ....

	:-) So, if it is not possible to translate all of them, then leaving a
few of the most opaque is fine for now I imagine :-) ultimately, most
programmers will read the code.

> The last thing: I found "patch making"  instructions on the Libo site.
> If there are better ones, I like to receive them.

	Just doing 'git diff > /tmp/foo.diff' can be good; better is to 'git
commit -a' and then 'git format-patch HEAD~1' and attach the
0001-*.patch file.

	Thanks !

		Michael.