[Libreoffice] PostgreSQL-SDBC in LO? LGPL2.1-only

Michael Meeks michael.meeks at suse.com
Fri Nov 11 13:17:33 PST 2011

Hi Lionel,

On Fri, 2011-11-11 at 13:08 +0100, Lionel Elie Mamane wrote:
> I've started to take care of the PostgreSQL native (SDBC) driver for
> LibreOffice, based on the "old" code at dba.openoffice.org. It is not
> 100% feature-complete, but "it works". Are there any oppositions to
> merging it into master so that it is bundled with LO 3.5, as is the
> MySQL driver?

	As I said privately, no opposition from me - it sounds wonderful.

>  - The code is LGPLv2.1-only, not LGPL3

	Really not ideal, but bearable for now I suppose. It'd be great if (as
new bits of code are written) if we have the git history for that so we
can get ownership right, and progressively cleanse the code to
MPL/LGPLv3+ in future - but not a blocker I think.

>  - Currently developed as a "fork" of libreoffice-3-4 which adds
>    directory connectivity/source/drivers/postgresql

	sounds lovely.

>  - The build system currently "just" creates a .oxt file; should
>    probably be changed to take into account
>    "--with-extension-integration"; would appreciate help/clue in how
>    to do that / what needs to be done.

	Personally I've never understood why we package built-in extensions
as .oxt files ;-) but if it works why not. I'd suggest just checking it
in and asking for some autotools guru to help out with making it more
conditional - no doubt they will.

> In the absence of opposition, I intend to forward-port and commit next
> week, to give some time to shake out any potential problem before 5
> December.

	Beautiful; it sounds lovely,

	Thanks for that !

		Michael.