[Libreoffice] Setting up a non-intrusive build cluster

Lionel Elie Mamane lionel at mamane.lu
Mon Nov 21 04:15:30 PST 2011

On Mon, Nov 21, 2011 at 11:50:52AM +0000, Michael Meeks wrote:
> On Sat, 2011-11-19 at 16:15 -0500, Marc-André Laverdière wrote:

>> I am convincing some powers-that-be that having a build farm would
>> be good, and they are starting to listen. This would really help me
>> write patches for LO, as my poor computer is having impossibly long
>> compile cycles.

>> There is a bunch of somewhat old Linux workstations that could
>> contribute to it. The concern is mostly that it should be so that the
>> systems should not accept jobs when users are logged in, as it may
>> interfere with whatever work it is that they are doing.

Maybe more interesting than "nobody logged on" would be "system load
very low", e.g. "load <= 0.1*(number of cores)", possibly combined
with "free memory + memory used for cache >= threshold".

> 	I'm sure they'd accept a patch to add a config option to use some
> system heuristic before accepting a job. Of course, reliably detecting a
> login session is prolly quite fun in itself ;-) ps ax | grep
> gnome-session | kdeinit or something ?

Nah:

       #include <utmpx.h>

       struct utmpx *getutxent(void);
       struct utmpx *getutxid(const struct utmpx *);
       struct utmpx *getutxline(const struct utmpx *);
       struct utmpx *pututxline(const struct utmpx *);
       void setutxent(void);
       void endutxent(void);

is the POSIX/SUS interface to do that. Or just run "/usr/bin/who -q"
:)

--
Lionel