[Libreoffice] report from ODF Plugfest Gouda

Thorsten Behrens thb at documentfoundation.org
Mon Nov 21 08:48:49 PST 2011

Cor Nouws wrote:
>   - The second: RDF
> Objective: prevent that data that is not (yet) supported in other
> application gets lost when round tripping with those other pps.
> Metadata plays a role in this.

Meh. Somehow, "RDF" seems to be the cop-out answer du jour for
extending ODF - while being a badly-supported,
unclear-semantics-while-editing, and mostly structure-less approach
in practice.

Truth told, RDF was designed for a specific purpose (annotating and
representing information for resources in the web).

> I was not really concentrated on details of this subject, but if I
> got it right, some other apps already work with this (to a certain
> extend maybe).
> To me that sounds as a smart thing for the ODF ecosystem.
> What do others think?

Use RDF for what it's been designed for, craft extensibility into
ODF via other means.

Thanks for your detailed report anyway!

Cheers,

-- Thorsten