[Libreoffice] Assertions and Logging

Miklos Vajna vmiklos at frugalware.org
Wed Nov 23 01:05:43 PST 2011

On Wed, Nov 23, 2011 at 08:28:18AM +0100, Stephan Bergmann <sbergman at redhat.com> wrote:
> My understanding is as follows:
>
> - There is a large number of OSL_TRACE calls all over the code base,
> producing large amounts of output at runtime.

Agreed.

> - Nobody wants to see all that output at once.  People are generally
> only interested in the OSL_TRACE output from some specific module etc.
>
> - For that, in the past it was necessary to recompile the relevant code
> with dbglevel=2.  Now, no recompilation is necessary any longer, you
> just need to add +INFO.area to SAL_LOG at runtime.
>
> Your patch would imply that you either (a) routinely build the whole
> code base with dbglevel=2 (do you really do that? does the amount of
> resulting output not intimidate you?),

Of course no, just the relavant module.

> or (b) need to recompile just sal
> with dbglevel=2 before automatically (without setting SAL_LOG) seeing
> any (but again, also all) OSL_TRACE output.

Oh, indeed, I missed the fact that with the patch not only the given
module, but sal has to be rebuilt.

Then forget the patch, all we need is to update
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Development/How_to_debug#Useful_macros
to reflect that now SAL_LOG controls OSL_TRACE messages, not dbglevel >
1.