[Libreoffice] Unexpected failures (eg. segfaults) using PyUNO and LibreOffice/OpenOffice

Jan Holesovsky kendy at suse.cz
Thu Oct 20 05:07:09 PDT 2011

Hi Dag,

On 2011-10-19 at 10:17 +0200, Dag Wieers wrote:

> to test each of the versions. Of course if you have a large collection of
> documents you can have unoconv convert those in batch. Below is some example
> failure output from a single run, LibreOffice does seem a bit more stable
> than OpenOffice though.

Glad to hear LibreOffice is more stable :-)

What would help most is that you'd run your tests with the most recent
LibreOffice from 'master' (ideally built yourself with dbgutil & symbols
- reporting against 3.2.1 does not make too much sense, too much has
happened in the meantime).  First try to reproduce the crash directly
from LibreOffice (opening the offending file from the file dialog,
instead of calling from ooconv).  If it is possible to reproduce, run
LibreOffice from gdb (or attach gdb to the running process), and produce
a backtrace.  More here:

http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/BugReport#How_to_get_backtrace_.28on_Linux.29

When you cannot reproduce it from LibreOffice itself, it will be harder
- try to attach gdb to the LO running the conversion, or something.

I am sure in the end you'll end up with just few classes of errors, with
backtraces - that will help us a lot to fix them; or maybe you'll be
able to fix it then yourself (with our help)?

All the best,
Kendy