[Libreoffice] Unexpected failures (eg. segfaults) using PyUNO and LibreOffice/OpenOffice

Dag Wieers dag at wieers.com
Thu Oct 20 06:11:41 PDT 2011

On Thu, 20 Oct 2011, Jan Holesovsky wrote:

> On 2011-10-19 at 10:17 +0200, Dag Wieers wrote:
>
>> to test each of the versions. Of course if you have a large collection of
>> documents you can have unoconv convert those in batch. Below is some example
>> failure output from a single run, LibreOffice does seem a bit more stable
>> than OpenOffice though.
>
> Glad to hear LibreOffice is more stable :-)

I'll say anything to get your help ;-)

> What would help most is that you'd run your tests with the most recent
> LibreOffice from 'master' (ideally built yourself with dbgutil & symbols
> - reporting against 3.2.1 does not make too much sense, too much has
> happened in the meantime).  First try to reproduce the crash directly
> from LibreOffice (opening the offending file from the file dialog,
> instead of calling from ooconv).  If it is possible to reproduce, run
> LibreOffice from gdb (or attach gdb to the running process), and produce
> a backtrace.  More here:
>
> http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/BugReport#How_to_get_backtrace_.28on_Linux.29

Since I'd like to involve my users in the debugging process (ie.
make it as straight-forward as possible so they can report as
much as possible), who should I talk to to have debuginfo RPM packages ?

> When you cannot reproduce it from LibreOffice itself, it will be harder
> - try to attach gdb to the LO running the conversion, or something.

I may not be able to reproduce an existing case, but they happen so often
that it doesn't really matter. I can do those batch conversions over and
over again with gdb attached until it crashes.

Unless you expect gdb to influence the behaviour ?

> I am sure in the end you'll end up with just few classes of errors, with
> backtraces - that will help us a lot to fix them; or maybe you'll be
> able to fix it then yourself (with our help)?

Don't overestimate a sysadmins skills :)