[Libreoffice] IDL "hyper" / Java "long"

Eike Rathke erack at redhat.com
Mon Oct 24 12:04:23 PDT 2011

Hi MarcinGutman,

On Saturday, 2011-10-22 00:42:32 +0200, MarcinGutman wrote:

> > Calc add-ins do not support functions that take or
> > return UNO type hyper.
> > .. however, it should work if the .idl file instead
> > uses unsigned hyper ...

You omitted some words that slightly change the meaning of the quoted
sentence ;-)

| Why, however, it should work if the .idl file instead uses unsigned
| hyper I do not know.

So actually that means that there is no reason that it should work with
'unsigned hyper', because in this context hyper should not work at all.

> You have
> to choose "double" or "Object". On the other hand "unsigned hyper" works
> fine. So, why there is "int" in Wizard... use double instead.
>
> If you write a code and you want "long" you use "long" not "double" with
> Math.round().
>
> Am I the first one who wants "clean long" in Calc add-in?

Problem is that a hyper reflects a 64-bit value. Calc internally uses
IEEE754 double and you can't map 64 bit into a double without
sacrificing precision.

Btw, please let your mail program not break threads, use Reply-All when
replying. Thanks.

  Eike

GnuPG key 0x293C05FD : 997A 4C60 CE41 0149 0DB3  9E96 2F1A D073 293C 05FD