[Libreoffice] Windows build tagging ...

Bjoern Michaelsen bjoern.michaelsen at canonical.com
Thu Oct 27 14:18:31 PDT 2011

On Thu, Oct 27, 2011 at 12:59:18PM +0100, Michael Meeks wrote:
> 	it fetches the notes and then ... well; then it fails to do anything
> useful. Bjoern - this is where your awk skills can get shown off to the
> full I guess :-) failing that - I re-write './g' in a real language
> (perl) ;->

I played a bit with this and a basic implememtation isnt too hard if one uses:

 git log --pretty="%H %N"

or somesuch. But I wonder if notes are really the way to go as there are
multiple platforms and once --last-working is existing, other platforms (e.g.
OSX, crosscompiled windows) will want it too -- and since there is only one
note per object possible one would have to take care of merging etc.

Why not having a one moving tag e.g. last_stable_WNT for each platform? Do we
really care much about commits older than the last_stable one?(*)

>       That - hopefully will be useful for this in future - so we can hoist
> the note up the tree as/when we get a perfect build. If you try:
>
>        ./g --last-working
>
>        it fetches the notes and then ... well; then it fails to do anything
> useful.

Actually that is the other tricky part: What should the stuff do once it finds
the last stable commit? Check it out without creating a branch? Rather
dangerous for somebody not too deeply knowing git (and it gives you scary
warnings). Even if it would create a branch, once you commit on that you would
need to rebase it on master before pushing, which is also rather inconvenient.

I am just wondering what the final result should look like ...

Best,

Bjoern

(*) Or, being devils advocate: A branch "stable_WNT", where the --set-last-working
stuff pushes commits that are already on master, but just up to the last known
good state. After all, a branch in git is just a forward moving tag.