[Libreoffice] Trinity Desktop Environment (TDE) desktop integraton for LibreOffice

Timothy Pearson kb9vqf at pearsoncomputing.net
Mon Oct 31 09:48:56 PDT 2011

>  The original mail rings a bell ...
> http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/libreoffice/2011-September/017515.html
.

>  And I don't remember any reply to my questions, and I don't see anything
> changing since then, so they still stand: What are the reasons this is done
> as a huge copy&paste s/KDE/TDE/ patch?

Primarily so that we can start hacking on the TDE module without breaking
the KDE3 module, and also if you look at the patch the Qt classnames have
all been altered.  The TDE developers are nearing the end of a yearlong
project to convert TDE to use those class names, and as soon as the final
transition is done the KDE3 module will be completely unbuildable, let
alone usable, on TDE.

I have been discussing this with Michael Meeks, and basically if
LibreOffice would rather we hack up the KDE3 module to work with TDE that
is fine, but we will not be able to guarantee that our changes do not
seriously break the module when used under KDE3.  I have serious concerns
about the maintainability of such code, including readability, speed of
patch acceptance (due to offsite KDE3 tests most likely being mandatory),
and how prone the code will be to accidental breakage.

Does this help at all?  I didn't see your original message so I apologize
for the lack of a reply.

Tim