[Libreoffice] ODBC literal escapes in LibreOffice

Lionel Elie Mamane lionel at mamane.lu
Fri Sep 2 09:05:18 PDT 2011

Hi,

LibreOffice uses ODBC escapes for literals, e.g. for dates: {D 2011-08-28}
In particular, it does that when one asks for a filter on a date
column in a form or table.

Now, for example PostgreSQL does not support that syntax. That is not
a problem when using the JDBC or ODBC drivers since they parse the SQL
of the queries and rewrite them to a syntax understood by PostgreSQL,
but the native (SDBC) driver, as distributed by Debian and others,
does not.

So, I wanted to check whether it is policy that SDBC drivers must
accept ODBC escapes in SQL strings (and the PostgreSQL SDBC driver
will have to be changed so that it does), or whether there would be
interest in me gradually changing LibreOffice to *not* use
ODBC-specific escapes. For example, instead of using an SQL query
prepared on the fly, using a prepared statement and using (interface
XParameters) e.g. setDate / setTime / setTimestamp to insert the
values in a "compatible with all databases" way. This would have the
advantage to making LO more compatible with eventual other databases
that do not support the ODBC escapes.

--
Lionel