[Libreoffice] [RFC] use of apache ant in libreoffice

Kohei Yoshida kohei.yoshida at gmail.com
Tue Sep 20 17:42:07 PDT 2011

On Tue, 2011-09-20 at 19:29 -0500, Norbert Thiebaud wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 20, 2011 at 6:02 PM, Kohei Yoshida <kohei.yoshida at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Well, if ant is used to build Java jar packages, then, I would prefer
> > ant be used because ant's build script is much simpler than make's for
> > Java packages.  For Java, ant is pretty much the standard build
> > system.
>
> The problem is 'ant' need to be treated as a 'Custom Build' and
> parallelism cannot be managed properly. (iow the ant process would
> have to be the equivalent of -j1).

Understood.  But I still wouldn't re-write ant build script with make's.
That would incur lots of manual labor & maintenance cost.

What I like about ant is that you don't need to list every single java
source file you need to compile, whereas in make you do (unless I'm
missing something).  That makes a huge difference and makes the ant
build script very small regardless of the number of source files.  The
only exception is those ugly ant files generated by Netbeans.

So, I consider ant to be a part of the Java source files to remove, but
I wouldn't just remove ant while the rest of the Java sources are still
there.

With that said, if you already know this, and still want to give it a
go, I won't stop you.  You guys deal with the build system more than I
do, so I'll leave it to your discretion.

Kohei

--
Kohei Yoshida, LibreOffice hacker, Calc