[Libreoffice] [RFC] use of apache ant in libreoffice

Norbert Thiebaud nthiebaud at gmail.com
Tue Sep 20 18:06:14 PDT 2011

On Tue, Sep 20, 2011 at 7:42 PM, Kohei Yoshida <kohei.yoshida at gmail.com> wrote:

> What I like about ant is that you don't need to list every single java
> source file you need to compile, whereas in make you do (unless I'm
> missing something).  That makes a huge difference and makes the ant
> build script very small regardless of the number of source files.

That is true. Fortunately some of the piece we are talking about (like
the java stuff in scripting for instance) hardly every change.
the scripting/java directory has seen 23 commit in 3 1/2 years, only 2
of them having a possible impact on the build (as in adding/removing
java files)
So that negative point may not be that much of a hurdle. I haven't
checked for other modules, and I certainly agree that for
java-extensions and external java module like tomcat we probably don't
want to go that route...

Norbert