[Libreoffice] Next version and grammar options

Michael Meeks michael.meeks at novell.com
Sat Sep 24 00:53:16 PDT 2011

Hi Arno,

	Bother, I replied privately - but again for the list:

On Fri, 2011-09-23 at 23:10 -0500, Arno Teigseth wrote:
> 1) I submitted a patch and it got through in september. How do I know
> which is the release it goes into? The next one? 3.5? 3.4.4?

	3.5 is the next release, the roadmap is here:

	http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/ReleasePlan

	your nice fix will be in that.

> I'd like to know so that my next extension release can get the correct
> dependency.

	Sure - so if it is small and back-portable, we should put it into
3.4.<next> but you'd need to post a patch with a [REVIEW 3-4] Subject
line + description and the patch for a 2nd review before we'd merge that
into 3.4.

> I wonder how grammar is dealt with? Languagetool? The languagetool
> packages I've built have all been "all-in-one" packages, with a bunch
> of languages supported (good idea when it comes to false friends
> rules, bad idea when it comes to the mentioned dialog...)

	Ho hum; the LanguageTool stuff -should- really be built-in and shipped
with the product IMHO. Unfortunately it depends on Java which makes it
horribly slow to start-up - I've seen several seconds of bootstrap time
on fast machines stopping people editing their impress slides, i've seen
an 8 second delay for first-typing in 'calc' and so on.

	Ideally, we would have someone who could put some cycles into doing a
Java -> C++ port of LanguageTool.

> Or does LO introduce some own kind of grammar checking?

	We rely on LanguageTool.

	Thanks !

		Michael.