[Libreoffice] --enable-werror

Stephan Bergmann sbergman at redhat.com
Mon Sep 26 12:12:48 PDT 2011

On 09/26/2011 01:15 PM, Marc-André Laverdière wrote:
> I tried doing that, but it seems that my autogen flags made it so that I
> was compiling some module unknown to me that was in 'build warning land'.
>
> Unless we don't have modules living in such countries anymore, I won't
> want to enable that option.
>
> I see this flag as an aspirational goal "let us fix all that stuff so
> that we can -one day- compile everything that way"

We were there already, and I think we still are there (at least on Linux
with recent GCC, maybe it decayed on Windows).

> I personally am against anything that makes it harder for a n00b like me
> to get something done. The learning curve is not-so-easy so lets not
> make it worse.

For just compiling the sources, the default of --disable-werror is hence
the way to go.  For actually making changes to the code, and especially
doing so as a newbie -- what's wrong with the help offered by those
compiler warnings?  (Given they are caused by your changes, not by code
that was already dirty with warnings before you touched it -- which
brings me back to the point that all developers should use
--enable-werror all the time, to keep the master clean.)

-Stephan