old registrymodifications.xcu is overwritten by LO3.6dev

Stephan Bergmann sbergman at redhat.com
Mon Apr 2 02:46:53 PDT 2012

[putting libreoffice@ back on cc, assuming you dropped it inadvertently]

On 04/02/2012 11:23 AM, Regina Henschel wrote:
> Stephan Bergmann schrieb:

>>> It is about the fact, that all existing entries are lost. I had a 947KB
>>> file and after installation of LO3.6 it is 36KB. Even die fields "User
>>> Data" are empty.
>>
>> On Windows?
>
> Yes, on WinXP.
>
> There was an issue with LO migrating existing user data onto
>> itself (in which case it would drop most existing content of
>> registrymodifications.xcu), but that should be fixed on master for a
>> month now, see
>> <http://cgit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice/core/commit/?id=76e0d695a41326a5583dbc9702e0ce3b8219b514>
>>
>> "Move migrateSettingsIfNecessary into create_user_install" and
>> <http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/libreoffice/2012-February/027058.html>
>>
>> "User installation migrated onto itself."
>
> I have pulled the source on Friday, so that's included. Is it possible,
> that it fails because the old one was a normal build and the new one is
> a debug build?

So you have a "LO3.5dev" and a master build sharing a user installation
(what are the respective UserInstallation values in the two
bootstrap.ini?).  Debug vs. non-debug should not matter.  Would be
interesting to know what branch your master build takes in
UserInstall::finalize (desktop/source/app/userinstall.cxx), what
UserInstallStatus it returns, and whether it indeed goes into the
conditional

   if (inst_fin == UserInstall::Created)
   {
     Migration::migrateSettingsIfNecessary();
   }

in Desktop::Main (desktop/source/app/app.cxx).

Stephan