Libreoffice Java x64 connection through UNO

Stephan Bergmann sbergman at redhat.com
Wed Apr 11 04:30:20 PDT 2012

On 04/11/2012 12:10 PM, Tor Lillqvist wrote:
> I.e. does he want to develop a (64-bit) Java "extension" that would be
> run in a JVM instantiated in the (32-bit, on Windows) LO process, or
> use UNO to invoke interfaces in LO from a (64-bit) Java process?
>
> I thought that in the latter case the normal thing was that the Java
> code and LO are in separate processes? So in theory that the Java
> process is 64-bit and the LO one 32-bit should not matter? I might of
> course be quite confused, though.

The one problem is that UNO "named pipe" (i.e.,
--accept=pipe,name=foo;urp) communication, even from within a pure Java
environment, needs some native code (jpipe JNI library) which obviously
needs to be available in the format of the JVM process's architecture.
Using TCP sockets (i.e., --accept=socket,host=localhost,port=12345;urp)
should work around that problem.

Stephan