Need help to locate HSQLDB in Base

Michael Stahl mstahl at redhat.com
Tue Aug 7 06:10:45 PDT 2012

On 07/08/12 14:55, Michael Meeks wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> On Mon, 2012-08-06 at 23:10 +0500, Muhammad Waqas Iftikhar wrote:
>> I personally vote for libmysqld.
>
> 	Unfortunately from a licensing perspective this basically crushes
> LibreOffice as a platform for writing proprietary plugins. It would seem
> a bit ridiculous to have to pay Oracle cash, in order to install an
> unrelated proprietary plugin (eg. Lotus Notes integration) into
> LibreOffice :-)
>
> 	So - in general, we've avoided any linking to MySQL or other GPL code -
> linking to the client library also suffers from their very odd
> open-source-only client library licensing. The hope is that MariaDB have
> a new LGPL client library in the works.

yes, that's a potential problem; i wonder if it would be possible to
work around that by shipping this as an extension (where the extension
is just one implementation of generic interfaces), but i guess that
wouldn't be practical because we want this to be the default Base
backend, so it should really be built in...

another potential problem with "general purpose" DBMS like MySQL,
Postgres etc. is that they may not fit our use case for another reason:
we are interested in embedding a databases in ODF documents, which means
that if a DBMS by default creates dozens of MBs of WAL files and table
stores for the simplest things then it's just too big.