Help Locating Base Code

Lionel Elie Mamane lionel at mamane.lu
Wed Aug 8 06:20:46 PDT 2012

On Wed, Aug 08, 2012 at 02:01:28PM +0100, Michael Meeks wrote:
> On Wed, 2012-08-08 at 07:32 +0200, Lionel Elie Mamane wrote:
>> On Tue, Aug 07, 2012 at 06:50:22PM -0700, Joel Madero wrote:

>>> I'm trying to locate the code that handles the dialog that appears when you
>>> do the following steps in base:

>> To answer this kind of questions, I find it useful to run a build with
>> symbols (debug build) under gdb. Then, when the dialog is open, just
>> press CTRL-C in gdb

> 	So - that is one way :-) another way is to grep for the UI strings,
> which usually come from a .src file; so

> git --no-pager grep -2 "Create Report in Design View"

In general, you are right, this is a useful technique that needs less
tooling, and I didn't think of mentioning it.

In this case, however, Joel was looking for a _different_ thing than
what you show in the example. He wanted to see what creates the dialog
titled "Picture" when one presses the button labelled "...".

As these are quite generic labels, in this case, the gdb technique is
faster / more accurate, assuming you already have a build with
symbols.

--
Lionel