minutes of ESC call ...

Kohei Yoshida kohei.yoshida at gmail.com
Thu Aug 9 09:24:29 PDT 2012

On 08/09/2012 12:08 PM, Michael Meeks wrote:

> On Thu, 2012-08-09 at 11:37 -0400, Kohei Yoshida wrote:
>> Just to voice my opinion, I too would be reluctant to see this
>> integration.  We core devs already receive tons of mails from bugzilla
>> many of which are pretty much noise.
>
> 	:-) I guess, there is no shortage of bugs to be CC'd on.
>
>>   And I'm personally not very fond of this type of automatic messages
>> cluttering bugzilla comments.
>
> 	I love the "fixed in 3.6.1" type automated comments - they're -really-
> useful for QA to see which versions a bug is fixed in and to set
> expectations right I guess.

Yes.  That's the *only* automated messages that I like.  The rest I despise.

> 	I suppose we could ask/pay Tollef to work on extending:
>
> 	https://bugs.freedesktop.org/userprefs.cgi?tab=email
>
> 	To add some flag magic for a new option for some the "ignore fixedin
> XYZ" version stuff - but that's a bit of a PITA to maintain going
> forward I suspect; I wonder if a mail filter could do the same.
>
>> I'm also equally concerned about fragmenting our discussion platforms.
>> Even without gerrit, splitting the discussion between the mailing list
>> and bugzilla was (to me) hard enough.
>
> 	Yep - I guess auto-spamming can go too far; OTOH, it is rather relevant
> that a fix for a bug has shown up and useful for a reporter to know that
> there is a build of it to try out.

So, I'm still slightly confused about this.  What sort of automated
messages will gerrit start sending out?  I was under the impression that
gerrit will start notifying bugzilla about some relevant patches posted
to gerrit & review discussions that go on there and so on.

  Also we fix on average ~6 bugs per
> day though we want to raise that - so, even if they're all in calc - if
> we get it right with a single new bugzilla comment that says:
>
> 	"a gerrit branch, with a patch that fixes this bug was built
> 	 for the specified platform >here<"
>
> 	And then no further comments afterwards seems like it might be on the
> acceptable side ?

Yes.  If we can limit the automated messages to just fixes that went
into the repo, and available test builds, then I can personally see some
value.  Anything else would be noise.

Kohei

--
Kohei Yoshida, LibreOffice hacker, Calc