minutes of ESC call ...

Bjoern Michaelsen bjoern.michaelsen at canonical.com
Thu Aug 9 11:08:01 PDT 2012

Hi,

On Thu, Aug 09, 2012 at 12:43:13PM -0400, Kohei Yoshida wrote:
> Sure, but gerrit already spams the mailing list.

I would be more open to turn that down (e.g. by reducing it to one daily mail).

> I don't see the need to duplicate that in bugzilla.

Bugzilla is way more targeted though: It does not spam the world but a smaller
audience (which is CC'ed). Im open to make these easily mail-filterable for
those core devs who dont want the additional traffic. But as Michael pointed
out its ~5 mails per day for the whole project, so even someone who is
subscribed to a lot of those would maybe get 1 or 2 a day.

> >>I'm also equally concerned about fragmenting our discussion
> >>platforms. Even without gerrit, splitting the discussion between the
> >>mailing list and bugzilla was (to me) hard enough.  Adding gerrit to
> >>the mix will make matters worse.  I would rather we encourage
> >>everyone to keep the discussions on the mailing list, instead of
> >>splitting it in now three different platforms, and adding lots of
> >>noisy automatic linking between them.
> >
> >If there is anything that is cluttered its the mailing lists.
>
> Yes, and I want to keep the cluttering just to the mailing list.
> Why do we have to also clutter bugzilla in addition?

Because non-core devs dont read the high traffic -dev list. But they might be
rather highly motivated to work towards their pet issue (on which they are
subscribed).

> Yes, but this will also increase stress on core developers too.  I
> know we are in for encouraging more developers, but not at the
> expense of stressing the existing developers.  We need to balance
> that somehow.

See above. Even if you are subscribed to a lot of bugs this will give you give
1 daily extra mail which you can easily filter. But it will give others who
deeply care about this issue a hint that there is an opportunity to get
involved here in a way that they care about.

To put it differently: If you dont even want a mail about a patch being
proposed to fix a bug, I would seriously reinvestigate the policy that gets you
CC'ed on these bugs. Essentially there is no other notfication that can be that
important.

> So, I have to be honest.  I'm still not entirely sold on gerrit, and
> my passion for gerrit is not as great as some of the others who are
> totally sold.  I just try to remain neutral and want to see how this
> plays out first before making more drastic changes.

I suggest the thesis that that will only make us stay in the workflow
equivalent of the uncanny valley(*) longer than needed for the pain of
everyone.

Best,

Bjoern

(*) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncanny_valley