minutes of ESC call ...

Kohei Yoshida kohei.yoshida at gmail.com
Thu Aug 9 09:43:13 PDT 2012

On 08/09/2012 12:17 PM, Bjoern Michaelsen wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 09, 2012 at 11:37:10AM -0400, Kohei Yoshida wrote:
>> On 08/09/2012 11:13 AM, Michael Meeks wrote:
>>> * bugzilla / gerrit integration (Bjoern)
>>> 	+ concern about getting spammed a lot from calc guys.x
>>> 	+ postpone discussion for next week.
>>
>> Just to voice my opinion, I too would be reluctant to see this
>> integration.  We core devs already receive tons of mails from
>> bugzilla many of which are pretty much noise.  And I'm personally
>> not very fond of this type of automatic messages cluttering bugzilla
>> comments.
>
> The proposal is to send a comment to bugzilla for the _first_ upload of a patch
> to gerrit. That is _one_ comment per bug maximum. So not much clutter there. In fact,
> if we do not automate this, people might do it manually in 90% of the time,
> leaving you with both some extra noise _and_ uncertainty if there is a patch
> lurking on gerrit. Worst scenario of all.

Sure, but gerrit already spams the mailing list.  I don't see the need
to duplicate that in bugzilla.

>> I'm also equally concerned about fragmenting our discussion
>> platforms. Even without gerrit, splitting the discussion between the
>> mailing list and bugzilla was (to me) hard enough.  Adding gerrit to
>> the mix will make matters worse.  I would rather we encourage
>> everyone to keep the discussions on the mailing list, instead of
>> splitting it in now three different platforms, and adding lots of
>> noisy automatic linking between them.
>
> If there is anything that is cluttered its the mailing lists.

Yes, and I want to keep the cluttering just to the mailing list.  Why do
we have to also clutter bugzilla in addition?

The review
> traffic there is largely discouraging non-core developers who just cant follow
> it as is and arent invested enough to do sophisticated mail-filtering. Just
> sending out the gerrit account notification, I noted that there are a lot of
> volunteers using foo+libreoffice at example.com addresses. That is _not_ a good
> sign about the current state of our communication.

Yes, but this will also increase stress on core developers too.  I know
we are in for encouraging more developers, but not at the expense of
stressing the existing developers.  We need to balance that somehow.

> If the target is to declutter communication, moving patch reviewal to gerrit is
> the best option as it allows more targeted communication (e.g. notification on
> of the interested reviewers).

So, I have to be honest.  I'm still not entirely sold on gerrit, and my
passion for gerrit is not as great as some of the others who are totally
sold.  I just try to remain neutral and want to see how this plays out
first before making more drastic changes.  But I can't help feeling that
we are starting to push this a little too fast too quick.

Kohei

--
Kohei Yoshida, LibreOffice hacker, Calc