[libreoffice-users] Creating High Res Images in Draw or Impress

Tomaž Vajngerl quikee at gmail.com
Sat Aug 18 00:42:08 PDT 2012

On Thu, Aug 16, 2012 at 9:59 AM, Fernand Vanrie <sos at pmgroup.be> wrote:
> On 15/08/2012 23:21, Mary Ellen Bost wrote:
>>
>> Hi- not sure if this email thread is strictly for reporting bugs but I
>> have a question and it's worth a shot.
>>
>> I hate gimp & need to create a few simple graphics in Draw or Impress. But
>> they need to be a specific size and high resolution.
>>
>> I just created a picture 5.3in x 5.3 inch square in draw & exported it as
>> a png. When the dpi option appeared- it was 48 dpi.
>>
>> If I increase the dpi...the image shrinks.
>
> dpi <> ppi
> dpi = the number of pixels used for representing the picture on a printer or
> a screen. This do not involved the number of pixels in your image, its a
> "notation" for the future output size
> so: if we have 500 pixels and you ask for a dpi of 50, then your picture
> will showup  at 10 inches
> in draw: if you need to endup with a resolution off 300 pixels you must
> gives  the also the size  500/300 = 1.666 inches
> Hope it helps
> Fernand
>>

>> I know that there is a plug in for PowerPoint that allows you to export
>> images in created in a ppt as high res.
>>
>> Is there any plug in or anything I can do to create a high res image in
>> any of the Libre Office programs?
>>
>> PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Help!!!!
>>
>> Thanks!

Hi,

DPI has no meaning, if you don't print the image, but people are
familiar with DPI more than PPI that is why DPI is also used for PPI
when in the context of a digital image and displaying it on the
monitor (you often see that some a smart phone has a resolution
density of xy DPI for example). So Mary wanted to export the image -
in export dialog there is no DPI however it says "resolution", which
is not really a good term and it should say pixel density in this
case.

Anyway, I have played with export dialog in the past and I have
already noticed that it behaves funny - increasing of pixel density
should not decrease the image pixel size. Sometimes when changing the
pixel resolution it increases the document size but not the image
pixel size. The behavior of the export dialog is very strange and it
usually prevents you to do what you want.

I think that the possibility to change the sizes in inches/cm does not
make sense for a export dialog. This size is defined by the document
and should be fixed (you define the document size when you draw - why
would you want to change this afterwards?). What you want to change is
actually just the pixel density (where you say how much pixels you
want per inch - DPI/PPI) or the size of the picture in pixels when you
want to target a exact image resolution. Document (selection) sizes
could still be in this dialog if you really want to change them
afterwards, but they should be available in separate boxes so you
always see the document size, target image size in pixels and pixel
density.

Regards, Tomaž