gettext (was: (great) widget layout progress)

Stephan Bergmann sbergman at redhat.com
Wed Aug 22 09:31:23 PDT 2012

On 08/22/2012 05:55 PM, khagaroth wrote:
> How much work would it be to make this directly use gettext? I thought
> the long term goal was to switch from custom translation formats to
> gettext, so using yet another custom translation format for something
> like this seems a bit odd.

Seeing gettext mentioned here:  What always bothered me about (what
little, really, I know about) gettext, is that AFAIU it is based on the
assumption that a single string S in input language A can always be
mapped to the same string in output language B, even if S appears in
multiple places in the source, with potentially different semantics
(that just happen to all be representable by the same phrase S in
language A, but not necessarily so in language B).

Stephan