[GSOC-UDPATE](17.08) Impress Remote

Andrzej J. R. Hunt andrzej at ahunt.org
Wed Aug 22 14:18:23 PDT 2012

On 08/22/2012 08:49 AM, Muthu Subramanian K wrote:
>>> add an
>>> does
>>> app
>>     I -imagine- that UX wise, enabling bluetooth during a pairing
>> flow, and
>> disabling it again if we don't connect is perhaps the best plan from a
>> UX&  battery perspective ?
>>

> Yes, as far as I know, you have to ask the user to turn on Bluetooth.
> You could create an Intent to show the Settings page for the user to
> do it.
>
> On the battery side: powering the radio down or going to lower power
> modes is handled by the lower stack, at least for the first round we
> shouldn't be too concerned about this, I guess (?)

It isn't strictly necessary to ask the user -- there is a
BluetoothAdapter.enable() method which controls the power, without
asking the user, although the documentation says that shouldn't be used
without asking. It would however be possible to ask the user every time
the app is started "Switch on Bluetooth to find Bluetooth devices?"
along with a "Don't ask again" option to make that permanent? (And then
the app can remember whether bluetooth was on beforehand, and switch it
off again if necessary.)

(In my experience having bluetooth on doesn't cause considerable drain
unless discoverable, so it seems like low power modes are automatic.)

Cheers,
Andrzej