Binfilter build fail with mergelibs enabled

Matúš Kukan matus.kukan at gmail.com
Sat Aug 25 04:59:01 PDT 2012

On 25 August 2012 11:33, Tomáš Chvátal <tomas.chvatal at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> as my previous issue with mergedlibs not behaving with includes this
> looks like another case.
>
> This time when building with binfilter enabled the build fails because
> SVTOOLS lib is not delivered prior we try to build the binfilter
> stuff.

It is, but as the message says empty. That's because it's in libmerged.
The (|my) assumption was that in tail_build we can do anything because
~nothing depends on it
(Well, there is still this horrible odk..)
binfilter breaks this, but I really don't care about binfilter.

> So any ideas?

I'd say --enable-mergelibs is future and --enable-binfilter past and
don't use both.
But since they somehow meet in 3.7 (or 3.6) you could fix it.

Just put some ifdefs info binfilter like
if $(MERGELIBS) == TRUE
SVTOOLS=-lmerged
else
SVTOOLS=-lsvt
endif
maybe also for other libraries.

btw, also scp2 would need some fixing because you probably package empty files.
But I didn't find a solution how to do it for all libs in libmerged at
once, so I don't care for now.
You would probably need ifdef for each lib in libmerged.

And for curiosity.. Is there any difference in size between
--enable|disable-mergelibs ? (the overall size of libs)
And has some gentoo user also tried --enable-lto ? (in theory with gcc
4.7 it could work)

Thanks,
Matus