[Libreoffice-qa] 4.0 Test week/marathon Re: [...-qa] 3.7 bug hunt party ?

Michael Meeks michael.meeks at suse.com
Wed Dec 5 01:34:41 PST 2012

On Wed, 2012-12-05 at 00:25 +0100, Cor Nouws wrote:
> > I am slightly scared what would happen if beta1 is not usable in the
> > end. Today's build still seems to work but people are still pushing last
> > minute features... :-)
>
> Hmmm, wasn't the idea that you had a Alpha build to prevent the Beta1 to
> go wrecked ?

	IIRC in the past we had the problem that there were tons of
un-addressed build / packaging issues before we even got to try to build
release packages minutes after the feature freeze. The Alpha is an
attempt to address the backlog of these before the rush has finished.
Inevitably everyone tries to commit their last features just before B1 -
that is life.

> Could you be so kind to discuss this in the ESC so that we know what is
> to be expected for the next release.

	Of course; having said all that - there is a big difference between
fixing build-ability on several platforms and eventual product
stability :-) Particularly this cycle we've had the tinderboxes green,
and building product-like builds for a long time. Even better we have
had several heros [ you know who you are ;-] reporting regressions as
they arrive vs. master, and of course we have ever more unit tests.

	So - my hope would be that our Beta1 would be of a better quality than
previous betas out of the door :-) but lets see.

> When is the freeze for RC1 planned? It would be useful to have testing
> done so that the devs that are available, could do something with the
> result before the RC1?

	Quite; I think the details you want are all in the wiki:

	http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/ReleasePlan/4.0

	Thanks so much for the testing & triage !

	All the best,

		Michael.