Anti-aliasing via GPU

Michael Meeks michael.meeks at suse.com
Fri Dec 14 03:32:23 PST 2012

On Fri, 2012-12-14 at 12:26 +0200, Noel Grandin wrote:
> I think what he is saying is that he's happy if you take and check it
> in, but he doesn't want to take any responsibility for maintaining such
> a thing.

	:-) then someone should do that I think.

> The Mozilla thing is Azure. It's really not intended to be a proper
> general purpose drawing library. It is specifically constructed to mesh
> well with the browser's internal drawing model.

	OK; interesting - if you don't think it's suitable that's fine - I had
assumed that with the reasonably demanding SVG / HTML5 canvas
requirements of the browser that it might be a reasonable fit (at least
to investigate).

> Getting the Direct2D backend copied from Mozilla into Cairo would, I
> suspect, be the best bet. And it would allow us to rationalise our own backends.

	Sounds good to me. IIRC we shipped the Cairo backend on windows already
without noticing it [ at least for a while ], so presumably it might
work reasonably well to consolidate on that.

> But it's a major chunk of work. And open-source Win32 hackers are in
> short supply.

	Quite - you're like gold-dust :-)

> Might make a good Google Summer-of-code project??

	Indeed - will add it to the list; though it's mostly cairo hackery
right ?

http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Development/Gsoc/Ideas#Use_Cairo_for_rendering_cross-platform

	ATB,

		Michael.