Personas in LibreOffice

Jan Holesovsky kendy at suse.cz
Fri Dec 14 09:22:45 PST 2012

Hi Astron,

Stefan Knorr (Astron) píše v Pá 14. 12. 2012 v 17:53 +0100:

> > So far this is still not finished, and I am fighting to have some time
> > to finish that for Beta 2, and for late feature approval ;-) - so it
> > still may happen that I'll need to just disable that code in 4.0, even
> > though I'd love to finish that - I am close.
> >
> > The reason why it is Windows-only so far is that we do much more theming
> > of the menu and toolbars ourselves on Windows, so we can better control
> > there what is going on; so want to go the safe way, and do it
> > Windows-only first, then extend to Linux too.
>
> Sorry to rain on the parade here .. but is there some good reason why
> we need this feature?

In the first place - sorry for my poor communication of this :-(  I
should have poked UX-advise in advance that I am poking this.

There are actually 3 reasons: people love using their personalized
pictures for backgrounds - I can see it everywhere.  Photos of kids on
the screens of mobile phones, desktop backgrounds etc.

The other reason is that this has even enterprise use - I have a real
customer who is unhappy with the look of the background behind the menu
+ toolbar.  It is much easier to provide them with a way to tweak that
than trying to find out a balance between their needs and needs of other
customers - you will never do everyone happy.

And the last thing - should you decide to change the background under
the menu + toolbars, it will be as easy as drawing a new bitmap, instead
of having to programaticaly change the look, which is not that fun with
GDI functions :-)

> If people are unhappy with how LibreOffice looks, we should probably
> tweak the platform specific look until it is better. And from looking
> at screenshots from Mac OS (and to a much lesser extent, working with
> Windows), I do understand why people would say that.

Unfortunately, eg. on Windows there is no real standard that would look
good :-(

> The thing is, those problems won't be solved at all when we allow
> people to put pictures of their cats in the application background. In
> fact, that will make matters for the most part. (I haven't yet seen
> the feature working so far... But even Firefox's implementation of it
> which tries to make sure everything stays usable does not guarantee
> readable results.)

Yes - people will be able to set something that it will do the app
unusable; but hard to blame us for that, I think.

Again - sorry for not communicating this in advance.

All the best,
Kendy