[RFC] syslog output from SAL_* messages

Stephan Bergmann sbergman at redhat.com
Wed Dec 19 05:02:34 PST 2012

On 12/18/2012 11:55 PM, Riccardo Magliocchetti wrote:
> Il 18/12/2012 09:42, Stephan Bergmann ha scritto:
>> On 12/17/2012 09:15 PM, Riccardo Magliocchetti wrote:
>>> i've refreshed my patch for adding possibility to send SAL_* messages to
>>> syslog. I have two issues:
>>> - am not able to send the ENABLE_SYSLOG definition down to
>>> sal/osl/unx/salinit.cxx
>>
>> You need to add it to config_host.mk.in to have it visible in
>> solenv/gbuild/gbuild.mk (or use the newly introduced mechanism of adding
>> a config/config_*.h that you then include in sal/osl/unx/salinit.cxx,
>> removing the change from solenv/gbuild/gbuild.mk again).
>
> I've taken the approach suggested by Tor

...in which case you no longer need the change to config_host.mk.in

>>> - if i add calls to SAL_INFO in vcl/headless/headlessinst.cxx like, i
>>> see the fprintf but i don't see the SAL_INFO one. Tried with SAL_WARN,
>>> same result.
>>
>> Did you configure --enable-dbgutil or at least --enable-debug?
>
> No and that was one of the causes of not seeing them :) why this SAL
> messages are shown only on debug build?

This was mainly done because the mechanisms that sal/log.hxx replaces
(osl/diagnose.h) did it the same way.  Making the logging mechanism is
also available in production builds has been discussed on and off, and I
guess one day we'll just make it happen.  (The biggest fear is probably
performance slowdown.)

> BTW added a printf in sal_detail_initialize and seeing it called twice
> on startup, is it expected?

That's probably one from javaldx and one from soffice.bin (both spawned
from oosplash).

Stephan