PATCH build errors on Ubuntu 10.04

Rene Engelhard rene at debian.org
Wed Feb 8 07:00:19 PST 2012

Hi,

On Wed, Feb 08, 2012 at 02:47:21PM +0000, Michael Meeks wrote:
> On Wed, 2012-02-08 at 15:11 +0200, Noel Grandin wrote:
> > On 2012-02-08 14:54, Rene Engelhard wrote:
> > > Seriously, if someone can't install doxygen when configure errors out
> > > because doxygen is not there...
> >
> > The list of things to do for building LO is pretty steep for a first
> > timer.  Individually it may not seem like much, but when you've gone
> > back to searching wiki pages and google for the 20th time, it gets
> > frustrating
>
> 	Right ! and that sucks. So - I wonder, could we make the error message
> more helpful in this failure case:
>
> 	"You don't have doxygen, please either install it or pass;
> 	 --without-doxygen [or similar]. Disabling it will not
> 	 impact your build, unless it is a product build"

This is already there. Not word for word but in  the sense.

AC_ARG_WITH(
    [doxygen],
    AS_HELP_STRING(
        [--with-doxygen],
        [Specifies the doxygen executable to use when generating ODK C/C++
         documentation. --without-doxygen disables generation of ODK C/C++
         documentation. Not relevant in the --disable-odk case.])
    [
                          Usage:     --with-doxygen=<absolute path to doxygen executable>
    ],,
    [with_doxygen=yes])

OK, I know people don't even look at ./configure --help, but later:

if test "$enable_odk" = no; then
    unset DOXYGEN
else
    if test "$with_doxygen" = no; then
        AC_MSG_CHECKING([for doxygen])
        unset DOXYGEN
        AC_MSG_RESULT([no])
    else
        if test "$with_doxygen" = yes; then
            AC_PATH_PROG([DOXYGEN], [doxygen])
            if test -z "$DOXYGEN"; then
                AC_MSG_RESULT([no])
                AC_MSG_ERROR([doxygen not found in \$PATH; specify its pathname via --with-doxygen=..., or disable its use via --without-doxygen])
            fi
        else
            AC_MSG_CHECKING([for doxygen])
            DOXYGEN=$with_doxygen
            AC_MSG_RESULT([$DOXYGEN])
        fi
    fi
fi
AC_SUBST([DOXYGEN])

it also mentions --without-doxygen. And again, I don't think it's hard to map
"doxygen not found" to $whathever_command_to_install_doxygen.

In any case I'll stop here, it just began with a wrong assumption of people what
apt-get build-dep does (and I do believe that yum build-dep has the same issue)
and that it might be really hard to just install doxygen (I understand that you
maybe don't want to look up configure flags, but...)

Regards,

Rene