[EasyHack] #44681 port to CLucene from java/Lucene

G.H.M.Valkenhoef, van g.h.m.van.valkenhoef at rug.nl
Tue Feb 14 00:45:44 PST 2012

Thanks for the answers, responses below.

On 13-02-12, Caolán McNamara  <caolanm at redhat.com> wrote:
> The xmlhelp/source/com/sun/star/help/*.java route is the one that sets
> the "bExtensionMode". I think this one is which third party extensions
> can insert their help into our help system. The cxxhelp is the
> straightforward backend of the "search in help" dialogs.

Yes, I found that java code (the HelpIndexer I refer to). I'll work on a patch to replace the XInvocations of the Java code with calls to my code.

> > couldn't the ZIP creation just always be replaced by this alternative
> > code path?
>
> hmph, indeed, seems that way on the face of it. Lets try that.

Great! I'll work on that too.

> >   * This implementation is using the master branch of CLucene's git,
> > with clucene-contribs-lib enabled (for CJK support). The released
> > version of CLucene is compatible with Lucene 1.9.x, whereas LibreOffice
> > uses Lucene 2.3.
>
> I don't *think* compatibility between java and c++ file formats matters
> to us, if that's what you're getting at here.

Ok, that's good to know. I'm not sure if the 1.9.x-compatible version has all the required functionality (but I just sent another message to the list about this).

> >   * I'm not sure exactly how to make my code build as part of the LO
> > build, but could probably figure it out as long as the previous point is
> > addressed.
>
> Presumably just editing l10ntools/source/help/makefile.mk and adding
> another target or so in there will do the trick. I can hook this up and
> see if how it goes.

Great, send me a patch if you get it going, then I can work on some of the other stuff.

> >   * CLucene (like Java) uses wide characters throughout, and defines
> > it's own TCHAR type for that. Can we make this play nice with how LO
> > handles strings?
> >
> >   * I'm using some Unix headers, are these available on windows or
> > should I use some kind of LO equivalent of them?
>
> Should be basically cross-platform stuff in sal/inc/ to handle any of
> that stuff.

Ok, will check it out, thanks.

> >   * I tried replacing the HelpIndexerTool in
> > helpcontent2/util/target.pmk, which seems to work fine, except that I'm
> > returning an error code when the content/caption directory doesn't exist
> > (unlike HelpIndexerTool), which breaks on "shared".
>
> I'll see if I can hook up what you got to our build system, ignoring the
> lack of clucene in our tree and assuming availablility of system
> clucene, and see how that goes.

I've got an update on this: I managed to create all the indexes and doing a few searches on both the Java-generated an the C++-generated indexes seems to give identical results (at least if I pipe the results through sort).

Gert