javadep.c & Java 7

Stephan Bergmann sbergman at redhat.com
Wed Feb 15 08:41:54 PST 2012

On 02/15/2012 04:31 PM, Ivan Timofeev wrote:
> I found soltools/javadep/javadep.c that contains a very simple parser
> for java class files. The problem is that it is old, at least it does
> not handle the class files generated by Java 7: as far as I remember,
> java guys added the new types of constant pool entries, but...
>
> javadep.c:520:
>
> /* Unknown Constant_pool entry, this means we are
> * in trouble
> */
> err_quit("corrupted class file\n");
>
> My question: is javadep.c a useful tool? If yes, I could update it.
> Because the class file format is one of the few areas where I have some
> experience. :) (However, I didn't yet look at the new specs closely.)

Apparently only remaining use is in the old build system (see
solenv/inc/rules.mk, where it is called STARDEP).  So I would not bother
to invest any time in it -- as long as its shortcomings do not actually
cause problems (which I don't quite get from your explanation?).

And if it does cause problems, another fix might be to hurry up with the
move of Java-based modules to gbuild instead.  ;)

Stephan