R: R: Building LibreOffice on Windows

Michael Meeks michael.meeks at suse.com
Thu Feb 16 12:42:35 PST 2012

Hi Walter,

On Thu, 2012-02-16 at 18:50 +0100, walter wrote:
> A few weeks ago I spoke by telephone with Italo Vignoli (The Document
> Foundation) explaining my needs and the work that I hope to do.

	Sure, but unless you clearly explain your needs, it's hard for everyone
else to know what you told Italo :-) I'm sure he gave you some good
advice.

> >	It depends what you want to achieve. If you want to get a bug
> > fixed that is not Windows specific, your quickest and easiest route
> > is to build inside a Linux virtual machine.

	Absent that, this is the best advice I can give.

	If you need a windows binary, you're going to have to build on windows,
otherwise you'll find life easier on Linux. If you have concrete
problems you need help with, please post questions here.

	It seems you managed to build the windows build in the end:

On Fri, 2012-02-10 at 15:19 +0100, walter wrote:
> Using a different autogen.sh configuration all work fine and the
> build process generate the following installer:
>
> LibO-Dev_3.5.1rc0_Win_x86_install_en-US_it.msi

	So - presumably you're all set ? :-)

	As a general rule - if you get a build, then git tag there, work from
that base and do no gratuitous changes to the build system. Meanwhile,
have another build tree on the same machine that tracks master and
re-build that until it works, then switch your work over.

	That way you always have a productive environment. In general if
'cygwin' works for a given build, under no circumstances "upgrade"
it ;-) likewise, don't re-install / "upgrade" your windows version, or
your compiler version, or ... anything you don't absolutely have to:
that will only create needless work and problems. The same might be said
for trying out obscure compiler options Gentoo-style ;-)

	After all, it's much more fun to hack on the code, rather than odd
compiler/toolchain/cygwin/optimiser problems right ?

	Hope it helps,

		Michael.