Trying to understand why LO seems freezed for some seconds when a module is started

Tommy barta at quipo.it
Wed Feb 29 05:50:32 PST 2012

On Tue, 28 Feb 2012 12:48:06 +0100, Tommy <barta at quipo.it> wrote:

> maybe there are 2 causes for that freeze.

yes, it seems there are 2 issues here

> if it may help you, I can tell that the freeze I experience has always
> been part
> of old OOo/LibO releases and it's not a new thing for me in OOo 3.5.0

still confirming it

> again, using a "virgin" portable LibreOffice 3.5 (
> http://www.winpenpack.com/main/download.php?view.1338 )
> has no start-typing-freeze in my user experience.

let me partially retract this statement...
after more accurate test I found that even a "virgin" 3.5.0  has a slight
freeze
when start typing... just 2-3 seconds...

try typing "test" and hitting space... you will see that the cursor
freezes after "tes"
then writes the last letter and the space...
with any word you use, there's always this 2-3 seconds freeze after the
3rd letter...

> the performace issue happens only when using a profile with my huge
> autocorrect database

it seems that huge autocorrect databases create a second freeze

try this: enter the autocorr subfolder in your user profile (in Windows is
under: User\LibreOffice 3\user\autocorr)
and put the attached acor_.dat file (backup yours first) which has 64000
entries inside it.

start LibO and open a blank writer file.
digit "test" and hit space...

you will see a first 2-3 second freeze after "tes" the the cursor moves to
"test"
and another longer freeze (6 seconds maybe) happens before you see the
"space"

so there are 2 freeze moments, the first one is shorter and unrelated to
autocorrection,
while the second is longer and depends on autocorrection

these tests were done on LibO 3.5.0
Windows Vista 64bit SP1
IntelCore2 Duo CPI P8400 at 2.26 GhZ, 4GB RAM