[Libreoffice] [Libreoffice-ux-advise] UI disaster on Windows: soffice -h

Michael Meeks michael.meeks at suse.com
Mon Jan 9 02:37:56 PST 2012

Hi Andras,

On Sat, 2012-01-07 at 23:56 +0100, Andras Timar wrote:
> I've just found this feature, soffice -h displays a dialog box on
> Windows with some help text.

	Heh - what fun :-)

> Problems:
> 1. Dialog is not localisable. Help text comes from const char arrays
> in desktop/source/app/cmdlinehelp.cxx

	Hey ho - it's reliable and quick to get I suppose; but I see no real
problems moving it out into a .src file and translating it.

> 2. Help text is clipped, there is not enough room on the dialog.
> 3. If I resized the dialog, it would not fit on a 1024x768 screen.

	It's all pretty horrible really; we have this beautiful document /
layout engine and we go and do nasty things like this for (essentially)
pages of the documentation ;-) Could we not throw up the help browser
instead showing a page with this content ? There is already just such a
help page ;-) presumably it is already translated, and then perhaps we
could kill those strings in cmdlinehelp.cxx almost completely.

	All the best,

		Michael.