[Libreoffice] [Libreoffice-qa] 3.5.0 QA ... from BHS 1 to BHS 2

Michael Meeks michael.meeks at suse.com
Wed Jan 25 02:18:02 PST 2012

Hi Cor,

On Tue, 2012-01-24 at 23:10 +0100, Cor Nouws wrote:
> The idea/hope is, that faster/smarter fixing of bugs, leads to a shift
> in the time spending: less weeks on bug fixing and more on features.

	Sure - of course, those bugs need good visibility; they need to be
marked 'most annoying' if they are major issues as early as possible. So
this 'initial bug' date is (to me) uninteresting. There are thousands of
bugs, if we have serious / critical stoppers they need to be
-immediately- associated with the most annoying bug, or at least
suggested there in a comment [ NB. as we add a dependency we need to add
the bug in a comment too to have this date ;-].

> Examples:
> - 45068 Update from 3.4.4 on Win not possible without ...
>      initial bug 2011-04-29 3.4.0 beta3,
>      workaround published 2012-01-22

	most annoying in 3.5 from: 2012-01-22

	so - we got a same-day workaround; but the bug was not prioritised for
six months ? :-)

> - 41054 Saving problem ods with new sheets
>      initial report 2011-09-20
>      fixed for 3.5 2012-01-10
>      fixed for 3.4 still pending

	added 3.4 most annoying 2012-01-13 after the 3.4.5 release ;-)
Hopefully it'll make it into 3.4.6 somewhen before we do that release
until we do - not a big issue.

> - 39118 Charts do not update
>      initial report 2011-07-10
>      fixed for master/3.5 2011-12-13
>      fixed for 3.4.6 2012-01-16

	added to 3.4 most annoying: 2012-01-13 - also after the 3.4.5 release;
six months after filing.

> (pls don't ask me to provide more examples)

	Sure - please do :-)

	What I see here is that (for whatever reason) serious bugs (or at least
bugs with easy fixes which we could easily back-port) are not being
raised at the place that we track these things carefully before release
at, such that we have time to deal with them.

> Another reason: lack of triage / bundling of issues, which is both
> important for developers (fixing) ans users (simple how-to's for work
> around).

	Right - it is a serious issue as you say; we need to get better
visibility into easy-to-back-port, and/or blocker-like bugs. And we need
to get that earlier.

	All the best,

		Michael.